- Hits: 14532
Inspired by the spirit of Edmund so alive in this place today, we as colleagues in the Edmund Rice network dedicate ourselves to work together in our continuing mission, to tell the story of Edmund, to share his vision, and to nurture the response in those who are moved by his example.
O God, we thank you for the life of Edmund Rice.
He opened his heart to Christ present in those oppressed by poverty and injustice.
May we follow his example of faith and generosity.
Grant us the courage and compassion of Edmund
As we seek to live lives of love and service.
We ask this through Christ our Lord, Amen
Prayer for Openness to the Spirit in our Lives
- Spirit of God, grant us the LOVE which filled the heart of Blessed Edmund, inspiring him to give all to you.
- Spirit of God, grant us the JOY of Blessed Edmund who found his happiness in seeing and serving you in poor and excluded people.
- Spirit of God, grant us the PEACE of Blessed Edmund who trusted in you and your providence through countless difficulties.
- Spirit of God, grant us the PATIENCE of Blessed Edmund who held to being a person of faith even when misunderstood and opposed.
- Spirit of God, grant us the KINDNESS of Blessed Edmund who always had time for the smallest and weakest.
- Spirit of God, grant us the GOODNESS of Blessed Edmund whose broad vision saw ways all around to spread the goodness of the kingdom.
- Spirit of God, grant us the GENTLENESS of Blessed Edmund who brought the gentleness of Christ to all his relationships.
- Spirit of God, grant us the FAITHFULNESS of Blessed Edmund who did not give in to discouragement.
- Spirit of God, grant us the SELF CONTROL of Blessed Edmund who prayed constantly that your will would be be done in him.
ALL: Creator God, to live in your Spirit is not to be complete but to be open, not to be perfect but to be growing, not to have arrived but to be firmly on the way.
Help us to continue on the path of Jesus in the way of Blessed Edmund and to be faithful to the gift and spirit he has left us.
We ask this in Jesus' name.
[If a small group are gathered, stand over each person and bless them with one of the lines from the following. Anoint them with some oil if appropriate.]
May the light of your soul guide you.
May the light of your soul bless the work you do with the secret love and warmth of your heart.
May you see in what you do the beauty of your own soul.
May the sacredness of your work bring healing, light and renewal to those who work with you and to those who see and receive your work.
May your work never weary you.
May it release within you wellsprings of refreshment, inspiration and excitement.
May you be present in what you do.
May you never become lost in bland absences.
May the day never burden.
May dawn find you awake and alert, approaching your new day with dreams, possibilities and promises.
May evening find you gracious and fulfilled.
May you go into the night blessed, sheltered and protected.
May your soul calm, console and renew you.
From Anam Cara, by John O'Donohoe
Hymn: Companions on the Journey - Carey Landry
Scripture Reading - from the first letter of John (3: 17-18)
If a man who was rich enough in this world's goods saw that one of his brothers was in need, but closed his heart to him, how could the love of God live in him? My children, our love is not to be just words or mere talk, but something real and active.
Blessed Edmund Rice and his followers were united in their desire to work for justice, to free the people from the social, political and spiritual bondage of their day, by sharing from their own resources and providing opportunities for advancement of the poor through education and care.
Contributor: Aiveen Mullaly